Not something my momma done tol' me, but all my own work though there is, frankly, very little of that involved. This embarrassingly easy sauce transforms a couple of freezer hamburgers or a steak that's looking a bit lacklustre, jazzes up macaroni or a bowl of penne, and lifts cauliflower cheese to new heights. Feel free to use any strongish blue cheese, but please, not Danish, which will merely loot and pillage your tastebuds.
The cream and herbs tame the blueness, so seek out a robust northern Italian red or a gutsy mountain white with the pasta or veg.
Download a PDF of this recipe
Enough for two
- 150g Stilton or Gorgonzola
- A tablespoon of Parmesan or Pecorino
- 100g crème fraîche (half a small tub) or mascarpone
- a generous handful of fresh thyme or sage leaves, finely chopped
- a pinch of Cayenne pepper
- salt if you think it's needed but work with the cheese and go gently
Combine all the ingredients in a small pan and heat very gently until the cheese has melted and starting to bubble very gently. Remove from the heat, stir well and set aside until needed.
Janet Wynne Evans