This old Margaux property, owned and run by the Guillemet family since 1932, has changed hands remarkably few times over its history. The Jacques Boyd who gave his name to the estate was an Irish wool trader who moved to Bordeaux in 1754 and subsequently sold to a cousin, John Lewis Brown, who gave his name to the Cantenac-Brown estate.
It was made a third growth in the 1855 Classification of the Médoc. The Guillemets’ relatively old-fashioned approach means that they have never used chemical pesticides nor chemical fertilisers. The vineyard is well situated and neighbours Brane-Cantenac and Kirwan, and there are 17 hectares planted, with vines planted 10,000 per hectare averaging 38 years of age.