With some 130 hectares, Bouchard Père is the largest owner of vineyards in the Côte d'Or. Its old cellars in Beaune date from the 15th century, where the impressive subterranean labyrinth - some of the walls are as thick as seven metres - extend for four kilometres. It was established in 1731 when Michel Bouchard bought some vineyards in Volnay. The house of Bouchard was acquired by the Champagne house Joseph Henriot in 1995, and substantial investment in new state of the art cellars have helped propel Bouchard Père into the top rank of wine producers in Burgundy. Winemaking is in the capable hands of Philippe Prost.