Cantina del Nebbiolo

In 1959, 23 growers from the Roero district of Piedmont got together to establish the Cantina del Nebbiolo, on the road between Alba and Turin, in Borbore Vezza d’Alba, an area that had been hard hit by the deprivations of the two wars and vine diseases before that.

Overcoming the hostility of local brokers who saw this coming together in pooled resources as a threat, they made a success of their early vintages and have carried on in that trajectory ever since.

Now there are 180 members of the co-operative growing only local grape varieties on 300 hectares in the Roero and in nearby areas, including Barolo and Barbaresco.