Château de Francs was originally a military stronghold controlled by the English until the battle of Castillon in 1453, when the Segur family, who owned it, were forced to sell. At that time only part of the building was used as a residence, with the remainder housing the soldiers along with their retinue.
There is still a 17th century gateway leading into a courtyard with the main building at the far side, behind which there is a second courtyard. Here there is a 14th century edifice with a round tower. Today, Château de Francs is owned by Hubert de Bouard of Château l'Angélus and Dominique Hebrard, formerly of Cheval Blanc, and produces one of the finest wines of this small district.
Situated north of Castillon and east of Lussac-Saint-Emilion, the Côtes de Francs is the driest and sunniest Bordeaux appellation, a combination which means that the hand-harvested grapes at Château de Francs can consistently achieve optimum ripeness. The soils are a continuation of the clay-limestone that makes up the Saint-Emilion slopes and plantings are 70% merlot, 20% cabernet franc and 10% cabernet sauvignon.
The Les Cerisiers cuvée matures partly in oak (50%) and partly in stainless steel for a year to 14 months.