This Saint-Estèphe property's history began in 1749, when it was acquired by Thomas Barton, the ancestor of the current owners of Châteaux Léoville and Langoa Barton. The château itself wasn't built until 1891, shortly after it was acquired by Jean Grazilhon, the grandson of the estate's steward under Thomas Barton's ownership.
Thanks to his hard work, the property was awarded its cru bourgeois status in 1932, but the crises of the early 20th century eventually took their toll, and Le Boscq struggled. Then, in 1995, it was added to the portfolio of Dourthe, the respected négociant, and they have spent the last 20 years restoring the property to its former glory.
The 17 hectares of vines overlook the Gironde estuary, and are planted on gravelly outcrops over chalky clay, a soil with the ability to absorb the sun's heat and reflect it back at the vines during cool nights, helping the grapes to mature at a steady pace. The vineyard is mapped into several micro plots for greater precision: more gravelly parts are awarded to cabernet sauvignon and petit verdot, which suit this soil best, whereas cooler slopes are given to merlot, which normally dominates plantings.
After being hand harvested plot by plot the grapes undergo a strict sorting process. They are then vinified in small stainless-steel tanks before ageing in oak barriques, 20% of which are new, for around 12 months. Only then are they blended. The wine is generally around 50 to 55% cabernet sauvignon and 40 to 45% merlot, with the remaining small percentage given to petit verdot.