alert

Essential Maintenance - some services unavailable

Our systems are undergoing essential maintenance work! Orders can be placed as normal but all account balances are currently showing as £0.00, and both statements and the use of account credit are unavailable (both online & by phone). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience – we expect services to return to normal by Tuesday.

Château Magdelaine

Christian Moueix

Christian Moueix

Situated on the limestone plateau above the town, this is one of the most beautifully placed vineyards of the Saint-Emilion first growths, and has been part of the Moueix family's stable since 1952. In 2011 it became absorbed into Bélair-Monange, its neighbouring property, and another of the Moueix family estates.

Jean-Pierre Moueix came to Bordeaux with his family in 1929 and settled in Libourne, a town just west of Saint-Emilion and just south of Pomerol, where he founded his négociant business in 1937. Throughout the 1950s he bought several well-known properties nearby. As well as Magdelaine, the family properties now include Bélair-Monange in Saint-Emilion, and Pétrus, La Fleur-Pétrus, Lagrange, Trotanoy and Hosanna in Pomerol.

Jean-Pierre's son, Christian - who is also responsible for the exquisite Bordeaux-blend reds at Dominus Estate in California's Napa Valley - became president of the company in 1991, and since 2003 Christian has run the family properties with his own son, Edouard.

Being u-shaped, the 11-hectare vineyard benefits from plenty of sunshine, and the vines (which have an average age of 30 years) are meticulously managed. Magdelaine stood out from its neighbours by containing 90% merlot (the remaining 10% was cabernet franc), the highest of Saint-Emilion's first growths, and yet it always managed to be elegant and intense. The wine generally spent 18 months in oak.

Magdelaine always needs at least a decade to show its quality - with the potential to age for up to 25 years - which explains why it has often wrongly been underrated by wine critics who taste it only en primeur.

The Moueix family also bulk-buys grapes from various producers which they age themselves and bottle under their own name, as well as being the source of The Society's Saint-Emilion and our Exhibition Pomerol.

Members' Comments (0)

There are no comments for this article.