From 1846 this estate passed through many of the descendants of the House of Palmela, but it is now owned by Sociedade Agrícola de Quinta da Lagoalva de Cima. The large, 5000-hectare estate can be found 100km north-east of Lisbon, in the Tejo region, and stretches along the south bank of the river Tagus.
Just 45 of the 5000 hectares are dedicated to vineyards (the estate is also known for its olive trees, stud farm, and forest of cork oak and pine trees) and these are planted on sandy soils. The grape varieties are a combination of the best both from Portugal and internationally: for whites, these are sauvignon blanc, alvarinho, arinto, fernão pires, verdelho and chardonnay, and the red grapes planted include touriga nacional, alfrocheiro, tinta-roriz, cabernet sauvignon, syrah, tannat and castelão.
Both vineyards and cellar are inspired by modern, new world technologies and practices, with winemaking overseen by the young Diogo Campilho. The wines are fermented in stainless-steel tanks, and the red wines spend time in carefully chosen mixtures of French and American oak.