Originally part of a much larger Pauillac estate that was split into two parts in the 19th century, Lynch-Moussas was accorded the status of a 5th growth in the famous 1855 classification, alongside its separated twin Lynch-Bages. The house at Lynch-Moussas is the original château for the property, originally owned by an Irishman, John Lynch. It has been owned by the eminent Castéja family since 1919 and forms part of the Borie-Manoux portfolio of properties under the management of the Castéjas. It is the sister property of Château Batailley in Pauillac on the Left Bank and of Château Trottevieille and Domaine de l'Eglise on the left.
Sixty hectares of vines are split between cabernet sauvignon (70% of plantings) and merlot (30%), planted on a gravel-rich site. The Castéjas have done much replanting, refurbishing and revitalising, and as the vines gain some age so the wines get better and better. Work in the vineyard is more thorough and careful and all grapes are sorted on arrival from the pickers to ensure high-quality. The establishment of second wine Les Hauts de Lynch-Moussas (first vintage 2001) has certainly helped the quality of the grand vin.