In 1870 Don Francesco Pisano emigrated from Liguria, Italy to Uruguay. His son Don CesareSecundino Pisano arrived in 1914, planted the original vineyards and produced the first wine in 1924. The third generation united Italian and Basque origins as Don César Pisano married Doña María Elsa Arretxea.
Today it is three brothers of the fourth generation who run the company, namely Eduardo, viticulture, Gustavo, head of winemaking, Daniel, exports and one of the fifth, Gabriel, cellar master.
They produce 30,000 dozens from their own vineyards.
The 30ha of vineyards are situated 25 kilometres north of Montevideo , benefiting from a sunny and cool Atlantic climate. The soils are a mix of clay and limestone.
The original Viñavineyard, next to the cellars, consists of 15 hectares of low-yielding high-density tannat, cabernet sauvignon and merlot vines, besides some chardonnay, torrontés.
The newer Barrancal vineyard is being developed five kilometres north of the cellars in the Progresoregion. Here there are 15 hectares of pinot noir, syrah, petit verdot and viognier, besides the traditional tannat. The soil here is particularly high in limestone.
The cellar is well equipped with a number of stainless-steel and concrete vats and a good modern bottling line. There are barrels for maturing some of the best wines and new oak is used judiciously to avoid dominating the specific character of their wine.