Bodega Gómez Cruzado
This old bodega was founded in 1886 by a Mexican nobleman who set up in the Barrio Estacion (station district) of Haro, thus creating what is now the third-oldest Rioja bodega, and began bottling his own wines.
The company was bought in 1916 by Riojan natives Ángel and Jesús Gómez Cruzado, who renamed the business in the style which we know it today, and in 1990 the bodega changed hands once more when the Baños family from Badarán, south of Haro, bought it. This almost bring matters full circle as the family now live in Mexico!
Today the bodega is run by a young Riojan winemaker, David Gonzáles, and viticulturist Juan Antonio Leza Martinez, who have done much to lift the company out of the doldrums into which it had slipped over the years, improving quality through attention to detail and a preparedness to innovate and experiment since their tenure began in 2008.
They make a small range of wines and aim for finesse and complexity and the range includes wines that are very much in the classical (e.g. their reserva) and modern styles (single-vineyard bottlings), made from carefully tended vines across 100 plots.