Golden Bottle

There’s still time: order soon and you could win a Golden Bottle! Find out more

En Primeur Offer

0 Offer Basket: 0 items £0.00 View Basket

2017 Burgundy

Please note that the DEADLINE for in-bond orders has now passed. Demand for some wines printed in the original offer has already exceeded supply so these are no longer available.

You may continue to order but your order will be processed AFTER the main allocation of stock has taken place in approximately 2 weeks time.

Samuel Billaud

In my opinion, Samuel makes some of the best wines of Chablis. He was the brains and the winemaker behind the Billaud-Simon domaine which, after a sad family feud, was sold to Faiveley. However, Samuel retained his share of the vineyards which he complements with grapes bought in from vineyards where he is heavily involved in the viticulture and harvesting. some of the wines are unoaked, while others use oak; however, it is not new wood, and is used to develop the flavours of the wine with the greater amount of oxygen derived from maturation in barrel than tank. As a result, these wines are not marked by oak. All are bottled with diam corks.

6 Products Listed
Product Name Code Bottles Price Type
BU69781

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Les Grands Terroirs 2017

An excellent unoaked village Chablis with firm fruit and a taut palate. Drink from 2021 to 2023. 12.5%

BU69781 Bottles6 Price£75.00 Type
BU69791

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Premier Cru Vaillons Vieilles Vignes 2017

From two parcels of vines, one 60 years old and one 80 years old, giving a wine with good structure to the palate and intense aromas and flavours of white peach. Drink from 2021 to 2023. 13%

BU69791 Bottles6 Price£112.00 Type
BU69801

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Premier Cru Butteaux 2017

From 60-year-old vines, this is a firm, fresh and dense Chablis. Butteaux is an enclave of the premier cru Montmains vineyard and makes firmer and drier wines than those from the surrounding vines. Fermented and matured in two 600hl demi-muids barrels, first used in 2010, but no oak flavour is apparent. Drink from 2022 to 2025. 13%

BU69801 Bottles6 Price£112.00 Type
BU69811

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Premier Cru Séchet Vieilles Vignes 2017

A firm, grippy unoaked Chablis, fermented and matured in tank and offering excellent length of flavour. This comes from 90-year-old vines planted on marl soils in this sub-section of the Vaillons vineyard, giving a wonderfully mineral flavour more typical of the firmer, drier right-bank Chablis wines (e.g. Montée de Tonnerre, Mont de Milieu, Vaulorent and all the grands crus) than the wines on the left bank of the River Serein (like Vaillons and Montmains), which are usually a little fruitier and softer. Drink from 2023 to 2027. 13%

BU69811 Bottles6 Price£127.00 Type
BU69821

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Premier Cru Mont de Milieu 2017

Made from tiny yields of just 20hl/ha in 2017 and fermented 80% in tank and 20% in 450-litre barrels, this begins rich and quite broad in the mouth before the grippy structure tightens the palate. A right-bank wine but facing due south, and so well exposed to the sun. Drink from 2023 to 2027. 13%

BU69821 Bottles6 Price£127.00 Type
BU69831

Samuel Billaud, Chablis Premier Cru Montée de Tonnerre 2017

Fine, linear wine but a little richer in flavour than usual in 2017 thanks to low yields (just 25hl/ha). 80% was fermented in tank, while the remaining 20% was fermented and matured in 450-litre barrels. Drink from 2023 to 2027. 13%

BU69831 Bottles6 Price£145.00 Type