Version 1.0, revised 17/04/2018
The Wine Society is committed to delivering the best experience for our members. As such, we take our responsibilities in looking after your personal information very seriously. This Privacy Notice explains how we (The Wine Society) will use your personal information. For the purposes of data protection legislation, we are a data controller and sometimes use third parties to process your data on our behalf.
Personal data we collect
When you register for membership with The Wine Society you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, date of birth and title.
- We may require photographic ID in order to verify your age. This is a legal requirement because of the products we sell. We only use it for this purpose and do not store copies of this information.
- The password you set for your account, which we store in an encrypted format.
- Your payment information including card number and expiry date.
- Your direct debit information including account name, account number and sort code.
When you shop with us, browse or interact with our websites or attend one of our events, we may collect:
- Payment information in order to fulfil the orders you make. We are a PCI DSS compliant business so your payment card information is stored securely by us and we do not hold a record of your CVV number.
- Information about your purchases and preferences (for example, what you have bought, the quantities, when and where you bought it and how you paid for it).
- Information about your online browsing behaviour and contributions on our websites, and information about when you click on one of our adverts or promoted content on third party websites, such as Google.
- Information about the devices you are using to access our online services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and any mobile device identifiers).
- Your username when becoming a member of The Wine Society’s Community.
When you contact us or we contact you - or you take part in promotions, competitions, surveys or questionnaires about The Wine Society - we may collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about your membership (for example, your name, Community username, order details and contact details), including by phone, email or post or when you speak with us through live chat or social media.
- Details of the mailings, emails and other digital communications we send to you.
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires (unless anonymised).
We may also use personal data from other sources, such as specialist companies that supply information and public registers in order to make sure we are trading legally and that you are getting the best service from us. For example, this other personal data helps us to:
- Ensure you are old enough to be sent marketing material relating to alcoholic products.
- Validate that you are old enough to purchase alcoholic products from us.
- Review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold.
- Improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising.
How we use your personal information
When you register as a member of The Wine Society by completing our application, you will be agreeing to the use of your personal information by us to administer your membership. This information will be used to:
- Provide and fulfil your orders, and refunds where necessary.
- Allow you to transfer wines to and access your Members' Reserves.
- Access tastings tickets and any other services you may purchase from us.
- Inform you about the performance of the company.
- Help to improve and develop our product offerings, member services, member experience, and the way we communicate with you.
- We may use a hashed (or anonymised) version of your email addresses to ensure that messages we post on third party sites (social media, for example) are targeted to a relevant audience.
When joining as a member of The Wine Society you become a shareholder in the co-operative and will receive important information relating to the business and our products. If you do not want to receive this information, you can let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Member Services on 01438 741177. We will use your personal information as appropriate, to process your application, set up and administer your account, to fulfil your orders, contact you as necessary with The Wine Society information and fulfil our legal and regulatory compliance responsibilities. Information about you is stored securely by us and will only be accessible to people that need to see it to carry out their job responsibilities.
We hold your information for the duration of your membership. As our members are shareholders, we require a record of your contact information in order to communicate with you about the organisation.
Who we share your information with
To provide the best service to our members, we work with carefully selected third parties who are responsible for delivering certain functions on our behalf. These include, for example, companies that help us with technology services, processing payments, mailing services and delivering your orders. We will only share personal data that enables our third parties to provide their services. When we share your personal data with these providers we require them to keep it safe and not keep it for any longer than they need to in order to perform their responsibilities.
Applying for a Job with us
If you are applying for a role at The Wine Society, any personal information that is provided in this process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application. We will use your contact details to get in touch with you to progress the application and any other information to assess your suitability for the role for which you have applied. We do not share this information with anyone outside of The Wine Society. Your information will be kept for 6 months, unless it has been agreed with you that it can be retained for longer to be considered for any future roles with us. We will store your information securely and ensure only those involved in the recruitment process are able to access it.
Under the terms of the current Data Protection legislation, you can request a copy of the details that we hold and process about you on our internal systems and that is processed by third parties on our behalf. Much of this information is already available in the My Account area of our website. If you would like anything additional to this, you will need to make a request in writing stating the purpose of your request, your name, share number and a contact address and phone number to:
The Company Secretary
The Wine Society
Gunnels Wood Road,
We want to make sure that the personal data we hold about you is up to date and accurate. If any of the details are incorrect you are able to update them using your online account or by letting us know and we will amend them for you. You have the right to complain to the Regulator (Information Commissioner’s Office) if you believe The Wine Society has not adequately addressed your concerns in a timely and satisfactory manner.