Spicy perfumed food needs spicy perfumed wine so choose aromatic grapes
such as riesling or gewurztraminer. Drier styles with good body tend to work best,
making the wines of Alsace and Australia good places to start.
- 350g/12oz skinned chicken fillet, cut into strips
- 2 x 300g/½ pint tubs fresh chicken stock
- 2 x 400ml/14oz tins of coconut milk
- 4 red chillies, deseeded and chopped very finely
- 4cm/1½" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped very finely
- 3 stems lemon grass, bashed
- Bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the lemon grass in a large saucepan with the coconut milk and infuse over a low heat
for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the chicken strips and turn up the heat to a gentle simmer for around
20 minutes or until the chicken is lightly poached. Add the chicken stock and bringback up to a temperature.
When ready to serve, add the chillies, fresh ginger and most of the coriander leaves.
Season and serve in warmed soup bowls garnished with a few coriander leaves
Serves 4 - 6