This is a rich, autumnal dish of mushrooms layered with crème fraîche, chestnuts and garlic and herb soft cheese – a real ribsticker. The chestnuts add body and their sweet flavour perfectly complements the mushrooms and herby cheese. A very filling vegetarian main.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hrs 30 mins
- 350g chestnut mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 300g wild mushrooms, whole
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 4 sprigs rosemary, needles chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 500ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 x 180g packet vac packed whole chestnuts, crumbled
- 2 x 150g Boursin with garlic & herbs, crumbled
- 1 packet fresh chilled lasagne sheets
- Large handful vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Tip the mushrooms and leeks into a large roasting tin along with the oil, salt and rosemary, and mix well. Transfer to the oven to roast for 45 minutes, stirring once half-way through. Once cooked, stir through the lemon zest.
- Spread 2 tbsp of crème fraîche on the base of a standard lasagne dish and lay over a lasagne sheet. (My lasagne dish fits 1.5 fresh lasagne sheets per layer, so I tend to cut them to size.) Tip over half of the mushroom and leek mixture, scatter over half the crumbled chestnuts and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lay over another pasta sheet, and then spread over half the remaining crème fraîche along with the crumbled Boursin cheese. Add another pasta sheet, then spread the remaining mushroom and leek mixture over the top, scattered with the remaining chestnuts. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and dot over half of the remaining crème fraîche (so you’ve still got a quarter of it left.)
- Add the final lasagne sheet and spread over the very last of the crème fraîche. Scatter with the Parmesan-style cheese, top with the rosemary sprigs, then transfer to the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.