alert

Essential Maintenance - some services unavailable

Our systems are undergoing essential maintenance work! Orders can be placed as normal but all account balances are currently showing as £0.00, and both statements and the use of account credit are unavailable (both online & by phone). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience – we expect services to return to normal by Tuesday.

Château Picard

Château Picard

This cru bourgeois estate in the heart of Saint-Estèphe was purchased in 1997 by Bordeaux négociant Mähler-Besse, a family-run company that has been operating since 1892 (when the Mähler family settled in Bordeaux from the Netherlands). The company has since passed through three generations, and now owns Château Picard along with several other Bordeaux properties, including a majority share of Château Palmer in Margaux.

The estate is relatively small, with only eight hectares under vine, planted on sandy gravel and sharing an average age of 30 years. Cabernet sauvignon makes up 85% of the blend - more than is usual in Saint-Estèphe - and the remaining 15% is merlot. The wine spends 14 months in oak, 30% of it new.

Mähler-Besse like Picard to contrast with their merlot-based wines. The result is a claret for those who like a bright, fresh, clean-tasting style and are prepared to wait a few years - usually between eight and 15 years - for it to mature.

Fans of the popular American sci-fi franchise Star Trek may note this wine shares the same name as lead character Jean-Luc Picard, and a fictional, futuristic version of Château Picard was greatly enjoyed by him in the series!

Members' Comments (0)

There are no comments for this article.
Search

Search for information & articles using keywords

Go