We’re unique in the world of wine because we have no external shareholders to please, we’re able to put profits back into fairer bottle prices for both our members, and the talented winemakers who craft them, so you get real value in every bottle, no fake discounting required.
By briefing our expert team of buyers – with more than 150 years of experience between them – to buy wines they truly believe in (not the ones that make the most profit) they’re able to seek out the very best wines, whether under-the-radar gems, trusty favourites or fine wine treasures. This means they’re also able to forge fruitful, long-lasting relationships with our valued growers, guaranteeing you great quality at every price.
Our strongly held principles
Whenever big (or even small) decisions are taken at The Society, we always refer to our core principles. These are a list of non-negotiable rules that make The Society special. They exist to keep us distinctive and true to ourselves, and are at the heart of the way we're run. They include:
- We don't maximise profits: we don't have to please external shareholders and can put profits back into fairer prices and better service for you.
- We sell only to members: we don't make profits or compromise our principles by selling to restaurants, wine bars or otherwise 'on-trade'.
- A member can own a maximum of one share: this means that every member is equal, and no member has an unfair advantage when it comes to buying wine or the service they receive.
- Our buyers choose wine based on quality and value alone: our buying team are truly independent, only interested in buying bottles they think you'll enjoy.
- We don't share our members' data to third parties for marketing purposes: so you'll never receive dodgy-looking emails from unknown providers!