This is a carousel with zoom. Use the thumbnails to navigate, or jump to a slide. Use the zoom button to zoom into a image.
Half Bottle of Samos Solera Aged Muscat
White Wine from Greece
From the island of Samos comes a stunning, ‘mature and minty’ (Tim Sykes) sweet muscat that soared to victory at our Wine Champions blind tastings this year. 75% of the blend is from the 1995 vintage before being aged in solera and topped up with vintages up to and including 2014 to make up the other 25%. The result is an intensely concentrated and complex wine, laden with figs, walnuts and toffee but still with great elegance. Gorgeous and a worthy Champion.
Price: £23.00 Bottle
Price: £138.00 Case of 6
- White Wine
- 8 - Very sweet
- Now to 2024
- 15% Alcohol
- oak used but not v. noticeable
- Cork, natural
The Greek island of Samos, birthplace of Pythagoras, lies in the Aegean sea on Greece’s eastern coast, and its wines were the first from Greece to be granted AOC status. The island has long been famous for its sweet muscats, with a winemaking tradition some believe dates back 3,000 years.
Founded in 1934, the island co-op is one of the oldest in Greece. Its members have done much to modernise production, and have vastly improved both the quality and the reputation of Samos wines. It now represents 26 vine-growing villages.
The vineyards are in the north of the island. There are around 1600ha in all, many of which are up to 800m above sea level high up in the Ambelos mountain, with deep soils that allow the vines to dig deep and produce excellent-quality fruit. The altitude allows the grapes to ripen slowly and steadily, allowing high sugar levels to develop, making them perfect for sweet wine production. Muscat is king here, namely muscat à petits grains, which takes up 97% of the vineyard area.
The co-op has two wineries in which it produces a range of sweet wines as well as various dry whites and rosés. Samos Anthemis is aged for five years in wooden casks.
Read moreLong-aged in oak and contains some wine from this Greek island as young as 2016 but also some as old as 1955 – so quite a bargain. Transparent orange. Very complex and revitalising. Far from sticky or...Long-aged in oak and contains some wine from this Greek island as young as 2016 but also some as old as 1955 – so quite a bargain. Transparent orange. Very complex and revitalising. Far from sticky or sickly.
Transparent orange. Very rancio and interesting. Almost painful acidity on the end, but lovely actually. And such very good value. Lifted and revitalising and long. Great acidity. 17/20
Read moreSucculent and characterful, this Muscat, aged in a Solera that goes back to 1955, has a savoury, smokey complexity that is hard to resist. Apricot, Earl Grey, bergamot, marmalade and orange peel dominate, ...Succulent and characterful, this Muscat, aged in a Solera that goes back to 1955, has a savoury, smokey complexity that is hard to resist. Apricot, Earl Grey, bergamot, marmalade and orange peel dominate, topped by rose petals and tobacco box. Beautifully balanced. 93/100
The Society's Sicilian Reserve Red 2019
Italy Nero d'Avola
Produced for us from nero d'Avola grapes grown in the Ragusa and Agrigento re...
Price:£105.00 Case of 12
Bin #013 Pedro Ximenez Seco, Montilla-Moriles 2021
This light, unfortified white was fermented and matured in large concrete amp...
Price:£87.00 Case of 6
Percheron Shiraz-Mourvèdre, Western Cape 2021
South Africa Syrah Mourvedre
Popular South African blend from a cracking vintage, rich and generously frui...
Price:£90.00 Case of 12
The Society’s Verdicchio Classico 2021
One of Italy's best buys, Verdicchio makes wonderfully vibrant, crisp and ref...
Price:£102.00 Case of 12
Les Pierres Bordes Marsanne-Viognier, Pays d'Oc 2022
This marriage of two Rhône grape varieties from the Minervois-Saint-Chinian b...
Price:£87.00 Case of 12
Lowlands Heritage Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2021
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
The Holdaway family has excelled once again, with a wine which perfectly capt...
Original price: £10.95 Current price: £8.95
Original price: £131.00 Current price: £107.00
Adega de Pegões Colheita Seleccionada, Península de Setúbal 2021
Remarkable complexity and flavour at a modest price. Aged briefly in oak, thi...
Price:£46.50 Case of 6
Baccolo Appassimento Rosso Veneto 2021
This popular Veneto red's opulent rich style is achieved by partial natural a...
Price:£46.50 Case of 6
The Society’s Chianti Rùfina 2019
A great-value Chianti. Perfumed and pure with violet, strawberry, cherry and ...
Price:£114.00 Case of 12
Côtes-du-Rhône Rive Droite Rive Gauche 2020
France Grenache Syrah Mourvedre
A stunning, fruit-packed wine with easy charm. The name was conjured up becau...
Price:£105.00 Case of 12